Friday, March 4, 2011

"My biggest critic is myself..."

I've had a real eye opener the past few days.
It started with counting down to the ultrasound (only three more days). Continued with paying first months rent on our new place of residence. Continued even farther when I thought I got a gray hair (very funny story I will post it). And ended when I read one of Erica's posts from.... I don't even know. But in it she talks about her friends who she feels took the bullet train to success, while others are taking the "I think I can, I think I can," train. (not an exact quote from her post)
I have always compared myself to my sisters, Lisbeth and Jessica to be exact, I've tried to be like them at some phases in life too. But lately I've found myself counting their achievements and seeing how mine pale in comparison. For example: this is what I was thinking just a few days ago....
Lis: Has worked for the same company for years, she's lived in a different state, she's been married, been divorced, gotten back on her feet, bought herself a new car, lives a very eventful life, and has time to make adorable rag blankets.
Jess: Went to college, has been married for three years (could be longer), has a wicked smart son, has a successful out of home business, supports her husband through college, can make super healthy food taste delicious, and is learning new skills all the time.
Tiff: ......
I was drawing a blank ON MYSELF!!! I was disappointed and quite frankly disgusted with the fact that I couldn't name my own proud moments. But then, a friend from my High School in Ogden posted on her status that she was so excited for Spring Concert. "I remember Spring Concert...." Another friend talked about up coming graduation. "I've already graduated." And then it struck me... I am eighteen and these are my achievements...
Tiff: Has performed in over a dozen dance concerts, has modeled for one major magazine, four clothing stores, and a store opening,  was on the swim team (neither of my sisters did that), graduated from High School a year early, married my High School sweet heart, is planning on being sealed to him on our anniversary, has an addition coming to her family soon, house trained our dog who is now going to go through another training so that she will be certified to be around our newborn, has skimmed the surface of playing the piano (willing to go deeper), is an avid painter/sketcher and I am dang good at it, and I am doing new crafts all the time.
I've realized that this whole time I've been comparing myself to two women at least five years older than me. How many eighteen year olds can say they've done what I've done??? Not many!
So today I'm giving myself a big pat on the back.

2 comments:

  1. Well done!!!!!!!! I'm glad you read my blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I read your blog! I want to be kept in the loop! [= And I like the way you put your day to day activities into words.

    ReplyDelete